|GLOBAL AQUACULTURE CONSULTANTS (GAC)
81 Fieldwood Drive
M1V 3G3 Canada
Tel: (416) 297-6045
Prof. Thomas George conducted applied research on the
assessment of fisheries resources, many aspects of
aquaculture and the aquatic environment and published
the results. Specifically, he:
- executed the first survey of the fisheries resources in
Lake Nubia (Nasser), Wadi Halfa, Sudan, that formed
the basis for a large-scale commercial fishery
- tested organic and inorganic fertilizers in earthen fish
ponds and highlighted their effects on the aquatic
media versus fish production; several text-books cited
- experimented on the growth of O. niloticus in mono-
sex culture as compared to mixed-sex culture that
initiated research and development of sex-reversal
- introduced the grass carp and common carps (scale,
mirror) in Sudan, bred the former artificially by induced
breeding for the first time in the African Region and
demonstrated their role in polyculture with O.
- demonstrated through a research protocol (WHO/Blue
Nile Health Project) the viable use of the grass carp,
common carp and tilapia as biological control agents
for aquatic weeds, Bilharzias’ snails and larvae of
- evaluated the efficiency of the exotic Gambusia
affinis and the indigenous O. niloticus as larvivores,
recommended the use of the latter and highlighted
the ecological hazards of the former if introduced in
- experimented on the exotic crayfish, P. clarkii, and
eradicated it when discovered its ecological hazards;
- executed a pilot project on the integration of
aquaculture with agriculture and poultry and
recommended its application in mixed farms;
- assessed the status of water pollution in the Gezira
irrigation canals and highlighted the side effects of
pesticides on the aquatic environment;
- suggested and supervised research on egg
enumeration, hatching and development of O.
niloticus for two graduate students and published the
results jointly with them;
- His important publications in international journals and
bulletins are listed hereinafter:
- George TT. 2007. Wild and farmed fish, their nutritional
value and role of aquaculture for world food. Bull.
Aquacul. Assoc. Canada (under publication).
- George TT. 2007. The grass carp and tilapia as
biological control agents and their role in aquaculture
for food security. Bull. Aquacul. Assoc. Canada (under
- Afra A-A A, SA Musab, TT George. 2006. Egg
Enumeration, Incubation, Hatching and Development
of the "Miracle Fish”, Oreochromis niloticus, in the
Sudan. Aquacul. Assoc. Canada Sp. Pub. No 12: 60 -
- George TT, OM Saeed, AI Moghraby. 2006. Fisheries
and Aquaculture in the Sudan with Emphasis on the
Southern States. Proc. Malakal Workshop, Malakal,
- George TT. 2006. Survival of a Deformed “Miracle Fish”
Oreochromis niloticus in an Intensive Water
Recirculating System. Bull. Aquacul. Assoc. Canada
106-3: 28 - 3.
- George TT. 2005. The most recent nomenclature of
Tilapia species in Canada and The Sudan. Aquacul.
Assoc. Canada Sp. Pub. 10: 33 – 37.
- George TT, OM Saeed. 2001. Evaluation of the Current
Status of Sudan Fisheries and Proposals for Capacity
Building, Ministry of Animal Resources and Fisheries
- George TT, C Weaver, T Shaw. 1998. Status of
commercial tilapia culture in Canada. Bull. Aquacul.
Assoc. Canada 98-2: 53 - 55.
- George TT. 1998. Canadian doctors confirm the
infection and effects of Streptococcus iniae in fish
and humans. Bull. Aquacul. Assoc. Canada 98- 2: 87 -
- George TT. 1997. Saltwater culture of tilapia and
possible commercial application in Canada. Bull.
Aquacul. Assoc. Canada 97-2: 42 - 44
- George TT. 1996. Tilapia – a potential culture species in
Canada. Bull. Aquacul. Assoc. Canada 96-3: 44 – 46.
- George TT. 1986. Status of aquaculture and
development in Iraq. Proc. International Symposium
on the Development of “Al Ahwar” Region, Iraq,
AOAD Publ. (in Arabic).
- George TT, El-N B Ahmed, OM Saeed.1985.
Aquaculture in the Sudan: present status, research
trends and development prospects. Proc. IDRC Pen
and Cage Culture Workshop, Cairo, Egypt.
- George TT. 1983. Results of aquaculture research in the
Sudan and future research trends. Proc. First Arab
Symposium on culture of fish and shellfish, Kuwait.
- George TT. 1982. The Chinese grass carp,
Ctenopharyngodon idella, its biology, introduction,
control of aquatic macrophytes and breeding in the
Sudan. Aquaculture: 27, p. 317 – 327.
- George TT. 1979. Prospects of developing cage and
pen culture in Sudan. Proc. IDRC/SEAFDEC Intern.
Workshop on Pen and Cage Culture, p. 12 – 22,
- George TT. 1979. The biology of Gambusia affinis and
its role as an exotic species in Sudan with respect to
other indigenous larvivorous fishes. WHO Traveling
Seminar, Bulgaria/Russia, EM/TR.SMR.LRV.FSH.MSQ.
- George TT, AI Moghraby.1978. Status of aquatic
pollution in Sudan, its control and protection of living
resources. Proc. FAO/SIDA Workshop on Aquatic
Pollution. Nairobi and Mombassa, FIR:TPLR/78/Inf. 20.
- George TT. 1977. Critical Appraisal of Water Pollution in
the Gezira Canals with Particular Reference to
Aquaculture. Proc. 19th Annual Conf. of the
Philosophical Society of Sudan. Sudan. Notes and
Records 56 – 64.
- George TT.1975. Water Pollution in Relation to
Aquaculture in Sudan. FAO/CIFA Symposium on
Aquaculture in Africa, Accra, Ghana. FAO/CIFA/75/
- George TT. 1975. Introduction and Transplantation of
Cultivable Species in Africa. FAO/CIFA Symposium on
Aquaculture in Africa, Accra, Ghana. FAO/CIFA/75/
- George TT. 1975. The History and Status of Fish Culture
in the Sudan and the Urgency of an Experimental
Project for its Development into an Industry: A Review.
FAO/CIFA/75/SC-5 p. 109 – 131.
- George TT. 1975. Observations on the growth of Tilapia
nilotica L. in Tropical Fish Ponds Treated with Different
- George TT. 1975. Detailed National Plan for
Aquaculture Development in the Sudan. Proc. FAO
Regional Workshop on Aquaculture Planning and
Development in Africa, Accra, Ghana.
- George TT. 1972. A Note on the Growth of Tilapia
nilotica L. in mono-sex culture. Reprint, Central Institute
of Fisheries Education Annual Day, Souvenir, Bombay,
India, p. 42 – 43.
- George TT. 1971. Preliminary Account of the Fish and
Fisheries of Lake Nubia during 1967-1968. Jour. Indian
Fish. Assoc. (1) 2: 65 – 88.
|Copyright © 2008 Tilapia Miracle. All rights reserved.